Last week when I wrote about the "must do" and "can't do" things in my healthy living journey, I missed one of the biggest things!!
DON'T DRINK YOUR CALORIES!
If you open my fridge on any given day, this is what you'll find for drinks:
Unsweetened Coconut Milk
Organic Skim Milk
Unsweetened Mango Pineapple Green Tea (brewed at home)
Wine (yes, there are 2 bottles in there!)
What do you not see?
It's really, really easy to ingest hundreds of extra calories each day just in your beverage choices.
Why drink more water?
1. Water maintains fluid balance. Your body is more than half fluids. It's important to maintain the right balance to help our body function correctly.
2. Water helps energize muscles. According to the Mayo Clinic, "Cells that don't maintain their balance of fluids and electrolytes shrivel, which can result in muscle fatigue."
3. Water helps your skin look good! Dehydration is bad for your body, no question, but it is also bad for your skin! Ever noticed how your skin looks better after you've put on moisturizer? Tired looking skin is dry skin!
4. Water helps with..ahem..bodily functions. Your kidneys and your digestive system need fluids to function properly. And we all want those things to function properly, right??
Why drink less soda/sugary beverages?
1. SUGAR. The recommended amount of sugar daily is 6 tsp for women and 9 tsp for me. 12 ounces (1 can) of regular soda contains EIGHT TEASPOONS of sugar. You've blown your whole daily allotment of sugar in ONE drink.
2. Diabetes. According to a Harvard study, drinking just 1 can of soda (diet or regular) can increase your chances of developing Type 2 Diabetes by almost 15%.
3. Calories. A typical can of regular soda is 150-170 calories. I know people who drink 3 or more of these a day. That's 500+ calories just in your beverages. If you're trying to lose weight, and eating around 1200-1500 calories a day, there is no room for those calories!
4. Artificial Sweeteners. This stuff is bad for you. Here's an article about it.
What about things like Vitamin Water? In my opinion, they're still a "no". The "vitamin water" type beverages are just sugar water with extra vitamins added, really. They still contain either a ton of sugar or artificial sweeteners.
Instead, go for waters that use natural essences instead of artificial stuff. You can find fruit flavors, mint, I've even seen flavors like cinnamon - all for 0 calories and no artificial stuff. Or - dress up your own water by tossing mint leaves and/or sliced citrus fruit into a pitcher of water!
Feeling thirsty yet?