Savory Sweet Potato and Roasted Mushroom Soup
3-4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubes
8 oz baby bella mushrooms
1 medium onion
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced (depending on your taste)
32 ounces chicken stock
1/2 cup half-and-half
salt and pepper
1. Toss the mushrooms, garlic, and a drizzle of olive oil and roast in a 450 degree oven until tender (about 15 minutes)
2. Meanwhile, boil the sweet potatoes for about 10-15 minutes until fork tender (aka easy to mash)
3. Sautee the onion in a little olive oil until it is clear and begins to caramelize. (you could probably also just toss it with the mushrooms and roast it - I just didn't think of that!)
4. Drain the sweet potatoes and add about half of the stock to the pot. I added the rest bit by bit as I pureed until I had the soup at the consistency I wanted.
5. Add the mushroom mixture and onions to the pot.
6. Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture, or puree it by batches in a food processor. Add stock as you go.
7. Add the half-and-half and puree until smooth!